RCIA stands for the “Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. It is a process by which adults are initiated into our Roman Catholic community. It is a faith journey of men and women who are guided and cared for as they awaken in faith and are gradually introduced to the Catholic way of life.
RCIA is for those persons who:
- have NEVER been baptized;
- have been baptized in another Christian faith tradition and wish to come into FULL communion with the Catholic Church;
- are Catholics who have been baptized but HAVE NOT received Confirmation and the Eucharist;
- are “returning Catholics” who would like to REDISCOVER the Catholic faith and tradition.
The process normally starts the middle of September and end at Easter Vigil. It is a series of carefully planned stages, marked by liturgical rites in the presence of the whole community, in which new Catholics embark on and join us in a continuing and deepening conversion into faith and discipleship.
If you belong to any one of the above categories, then RCIA is for you. Please contact the Coordinator of RCIA, Rowena Lewis, at 619-662-1739.
The RCIA Team is also looking for sponsors who will walk the faith journey with the catechumens and candidates.
The roles of sponsors are:
- Act as a personal connection between the catechumen/candidate and the community until the rite of election.
- Provide support and encouragement.
- Answer questions the candidates may have.
- Are available to attend the sessions.
- Pray with and for the catechumen/candidate.
- Introduce the catechumen/candidate to the other members of the community.
- Participate in the sessions, prayer gatherings, ceremonies and instructions.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact the Coordinator of RCIA, Rowena Lewis, at 619-662-1739.